Time to Mulch
Well all that rain in April certainly had an effect,despite the low temperatures the grass celebrated in style, so it was out with the scythe and on with one of the most important tasks of the year "Mulching".Here are my rules for mulching:
- Wait until the ground is wet or I should say throughly soaked before mulching.
- Weed around the base of the plant.
- Use this opportunity to feed your plants, knowing that anything you put down will be easily absorbed.I feed mine with urine, wood ash and compost.
- Cover all this with cardboard.
- Cover the cardboard with mowings, or as in my case recently scythed meadow grass.
Here is Cornus mas Jolico (you can get this from http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/) with its dressing of compost and wood ash (sorry no pic of the urine application available).
Now for the cardboard which I get from Go Mango the great Organic Heatth food shop in Cardigan.